childhood museum 360

writing ideas for your essay

 

History Of Battle Creek Sanitarium

Battle Creek sanitarium is located in the city of Battle Creek inside of the state of Michigan. It was a health resort, one which fabricated the principles of the church of Seventh-day Adventist. During the Second World War the complex was purchased by the government and converted into a hospital. This facility later served as a federal center.

The sanitarium opened in 1866 at which point was named the Western health Reform Institute. The superintendent role was filled by John Harvey Kellogg in 1876. He and his brother, who served as the bookkeeper, built a new structure on the site in 1878 which burned down in 1902. The year after the structure was rebuilt, even larger than before, and given the new name of the Battle Creek sanitarium. This word at the time was designated as a health resort for invalid soldiers. They made a new word based lowly changing the spelling of the original English term. The number of patients in 1866 was 106, and by 1906 the number of patrons had reached over 7000. The facility expanded in 1928 and added a 14 story tower across from the main building. The sanatorium continues to operate apart from the main facility. It was in 1942 that the U.S. Army purchased the tower and created a General Hospital. This hospital remained open until 1953 at which point it was permanently closed. However, one year later it was opened again as a psychiatric facility which it remained until the 1970s. At this point it closed its doors and it was not opened until 1986 when it was officially raised. The medical records from this facility were microfiche and are now still kept on file in field stone center.

In addition to the patrons, there was an excessively large staff with no less than 800 people at any given time and no less than 1000 people during the busy season. The staff included 30 physicians, nurses, and assistance. The main building had four large buildings inside of it, which had rooms that could accommodate over 400 guests. It could also provide treatment rooms for more than 1000 patients. This became a destination for middle-class and prominent Americans. Mary Todd Lincoln and Sojourner Truth are two celebrity figures who visited the location. They influenced the enthusiasm for the center among the general public.

This building offered many treatments including enemas and diet reform. A low fat and low protein diet was emphasized for all patients, and patients were encouraged to get daily fresh air, exercise, and hygiene. The health therapeutic system was comprised of diet, physical exercise, health training, hydrotherapy, phototherapy, and electrotherapy. There were two separate buildings devoted to hydrotherapy including a basement dedicated to rectal and bowel applications. The hydrotherapy had a permanent place in the therapeutics used within this building.

 

©2017 All Rights Reserved.    ChildhoodMuseum360com.